Tuesday, August 28, 2007

farewell sweet edinburgh, hello highlands!

hello all!
So tonight is my last night in this wonderful city. I can't believe it has only been a week! It feels like I have spent months here. This first leg of my journey has been wonderful, we leave tomorrow for the highlands where we will be white water rafting and attending a highland gathering of games (also intended by the Queen i am told-do you think she signs authographs?)

Yesterday, we took a break from the city to travel out to lindisfarne, an island off east coast of n. england. The coach ride was a rough one for some (our driver frank likes to take corners at quick speeds) but when we got off at the island all sickness subsided. The island is cut off by the tide, so you have to time your trip accordingly. That might sound annoying to some, but really it adds to the enchantment of the place. The island is famous for a couple of celtic saints (Aidan and Cuthbert) who lived their lives on the island serving and loving the people and their God. It was nice and refreshing to be away from the bustle of the city and just sit and relax in such a quiet and peacful place.

Our guides were really nice and welcoming and my only regret is that we didn't stay longer. I would have liked to linger a bit and take the advice of our guide, graham, and sit and meditate for a while, be still, and process the week. The islanders talked about the tide and how it really sets the rhythm of their life. The tide goes out and people come in that they can serve and minister too...and the tide comes in and they can have that much needed alone time, a chance to not be bothered by the busyness and really find rest. I am envious of them, I wish I could model my life after that.

The rest of the day we traveled to a couple more sites, a castle at bamburgh and a country estate at abbotsford, which were both beautiful but lindisfarne was by far the place that stuck with me the most. By the end of the day we were all exhausted and after taking one last look at a beatitful view of the scottish countryside (a favorite of sir walter scotts--a man we studied) we made our way back to edinburgh.

Like I said, tonight is it for here and tomorrow we move on. I really had a wonderful time and only wish I had more time to process it all. I guess I got a chance right now, writing in this, so that has been nice.

hope all is well & i love you all. until next time..

cheers!

No comments: